1.12.2013

Most Anticipated Movies - 2013


10. Fast & Furious 6

Release Date: May 24
Starring: Testosterone, Fast Cars
Synopsis: Vin Diesel and The Rock return to chase each other around a city (England?) and punch each other in the face. Some generic villain will probably unite them together in the third act. Gina Carano tags along, and Michelle Rodriguez or her twin sister is magically back from the dead.
Thoughts: Unfortunately Paul Walker will be there to annoy me with his bland delivery and "bro" this and "bro" that dialogue. Still, I think Fast Five was the best in the series and I'm looking forward to the sixth installment.



9. Oblivion

Release Date: April 19
Starring: Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman
Synopsis: Tom Cruise plays another character named Jack. He fixes things and flies an iShip around on a post-alien invasion Earth while reminiscing about the good ol' days. While out spelunking, Morgan Freeman appears and convinces him that something that is widely thought to be right, is in fact wrong!
Thoughts: Granted I haven't seen Magnolia or Top Gun, I always enjoy Tom Cruise's movies.



8. Oz: The Great and Powerful

Release Date: March 8
Starring: James Franco, Mila Kunis
Synopsis: Some guy diverts his hot-air balloon into the path of a tornado and ends up in the land of Oz. He meets some witches and there are some flying monkeys or something.
Thoughts: I really have no idea what this movie is about, but I have always loved The Wizard of Oz. Has anyone else seen Return to Oz? I recently watched it again and rekindled my childhood love of Tik Tok. They don't make robots with mustaches anymore. I doubt he will make an appearance in this film, which is a real shame.



7. The World's End

Release Date: October 25
Starring: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost
Synopsis: Something about getting drunk and dealing with the end of the world.
Thoughts: This is the third of the "Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy." I'm not sold on the story as much as I'm sold on the team behind it. The trio of Edgar Wright (director), Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost have worked together previously on Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Based on the quality of those two films, this could be a film about two people reading the phone book in an abandoned warehouse and I would go see it.


6. The Wolverine

Release Date: July 26
Starring: Hugh Jackman
Synopsis: Wolverine goes to Japan and does something with his claws.
Thoughts: The Wolverine is based on a series written by Frank Miller in which both Darren Arnofsky and Guillermo del Toro expressed early interest. It is a favorite Wolverine story of not only comic book nerds fans, but Hugh Jackman as well. I'm sure I will enjoy it as long as the special effects department doesn't repeat the hack job they did of his claws in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.



5. World War Z

Release Date: June 21
Starring: Brad Pitt, zombies. Lots of zombies.
Synopsis: Brad Pitt looks for a cure to a worldwide zombie outbreak as governments collapse.
Thoughts: This was a pretty good book, but I suspect they won't use the individual flashback accounts as written by Max Brooks. Some of the zombie mob scenes from the preview look a bit too video-gamey. Seven weeks of reshoots and a rewritten third act don't bode well for this movie either. Why do I want to see this? Oh yes, Brad Pitt and zombies.


4. Star Trek: Into Darkness

Release Date: May 17
Starring: Nerds in ugly shirts  
Synopsis: Villains attack Starfleet (shock) and a bunch of youngsters continue their command of the flagship Enterprise. Kind of like a Red Dawn of the Star Trek Universe, or the Nerdiverse as I call it.
Thoughts: I'm mostly looking forward to this movie so I can complain about it as much as I complained about the 2009 Star Trek. I actually really like Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, and John Cho though. All my friends seem excited about this, so it will be fun to tell them how much I hate it.


3. Thor: The Dark World

Release Date: November 8
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston
Synopsis: Thor throws his hammer and acts all Thor-y and Loki probably acts all Loki-y.
Thoughts: I enjoyed the first Thor enough to place the sequel at number three this year. I'm really interested to see where they go with the Nine Realms and how it will fit into the larger Marvel Universe. I'm particularly excited to see expanded roles for Heimdall (Idris Elba) and the Warriors Three. Even though Kenneth Branagh is not directing this time around, I think Alan Taylor's experience on Game of Thrones will translate well here.


2. Man of Steel

Release Date: June 14
Starring: Doesn't matter
Synopsis: Reboot of Superman, for the three people who don't know the origin story of Superman.
Thoughts: Directed by Zack Snyder (Dawn of the Dead, 300), produced by Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, Inception), scripted by David S. Goyer (Dark City, The Dark Knight), and scored by Hans Zimmer (Pirates of the Caribbean, Inception) it is almost inconceivable that this movie will not be great. Story wise, if Superman does more than lift heavy objects, it will exceed my expectations.


1. Iron Man 3

Release Date: May 3
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Ben Kingsley
Synopsis: Tony Stark is all, "I am Iron Man." So The Mandarin blows up his house.
Thoughts: If you didn't know this was going to be number one, you haven't been my friend long enough. As far as comic book movies go, the third in the series always seems to be the worst. (See Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3, The Dark Knight Rises, Superman 3. Actually, don't see any of them because they are all terrible.) But the previews to Iron Man 3 thus far have been fantastic and it looks like he will be fighting something other than Iron-Man knock-offs.


In order of release date, here are the other 2013 releases that I am looking forward to:

  • The Last Stand, January 18
  • This Is the End, June 14
  • Monsters University, June 21
  • Despicable Me 2, July 3
  • Pacific Rim, July 12
  • R.I.P.D., July 19
  • Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, October 4
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, November 22
  • Anchorman 2, December 20


  Just for fun, I created a histogram of these movie release dates to project where all my money will be going in the coming months. I was going to use Tableau but creating a histogram with only 19 data points took me all of three minutes in Excel.



  What movies are you looking forward to seeing this year?

No comments: